Sunday 14 August 2011

My Design Career


So why do I want to be a designer? To put it simply, I want to be an architect, I'm just using industrial design to get me there. So far within my time in the industrial design course, I have not really been tempted to change my mind and stick with IDES but that's not really a bad thing at all. The way I see it now, I will be approaching architecture with an element of product/industrial design. I think one of the aspects that will be most different to architecture is the fact that industrial design focuses on the way users interact with products and the way the products make people feel. I personally think that I will be able to take this element of human focus and twist it with my architectural studies to create concepts that are both architecturally sound but introduce a higher level of human interaction and interest. I would like to create environments that encapsulate people and make them feel safe, comfortable and appreciative of the quality and thought that goes into developing the environment. I believe that it's the little things that make the biggest difference in the end and I have come to notice that industrial design seems to take this idea into great detail and consider it to be extremely important in order to create successful products. I also feel that sometimes these small details go unnoticed and that users need to realise how much thought an work goes into a design.

I have chosen a career in design (as a broad topic) because I love the concept of expressing yourself through products or buildings, using line, colour shape, texture and all that other wonderful stuff as a means of expression is an idea that I want to keep close to me. I don't really see myself enjoying anything else (in terms of work) as much as designing. I always look at current designs and see problems, or simply see the way the designer has approached the situation and think "why can't someone change this?" or "it would be pretty cool if.." and I think that design will be the best way to put my mark on the scene as such. If I were an architect, I would most likely see current designs and the way architects are using materials and technology and then try and take my own crack at using these materials and technologies to create designs that nobody has ever seen before and that grab interest immediately.

I see myself as becoming a very minimalist designer. I have an obsession with cleanliness and I love it when designers are able to create powerful effects by using very simple lines and shapes. I hope I can successfully get into an architecture career so I can express myself and hopefully change the world of design. But then again, isn't that what every designer wants to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment